Wednesday, April 30, 2014

House of the week: Double Gallery on Governor Nicholls

In an effort to prevent a complete mental and emotional breakdown, I've lately searched for homes utterly out of my financial reach during my weekly, online forays into New Orleans' available real estate. Even with these preventative measures in place, I can't help but feel a twinge of pain when I stumble upon a listing like this.

Located in the historic Treme, right near the I-10, is this gorgeous old mansion called The Louis Chalon House. Built circa 1860 by Louis Chalon (son of Joseph Chalon, one of the wealthy "gens de couleur libres" or free people of color), this is a classic double gallery home featuring Corinthian columns and cast iron railings. This huge house sports eleven bedrooms, eight bathrooms and over 7000 square feet of living space.

Although it is in disrepair, this Grand Dame should not go by the wayside. It still has stunning architectural details like pocket doors, ceiling medallions, Victorian mantles and original hardwood floors. If you're into restoring beautiful old homes, I would encourage you to snap up this lady listed at only $399,000 and make her dance again. I certainly wish I could!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tOh if only. Sorry Kim, but if I could get it I'd get it for me. I love this little lady!
Nan