Friday, April 13, 2012

House of the week: Palace on Third

From totally epic to just so-so, I'm pretty sure I could live in any of the dream houses I've posted so far. Then I saw this listing...

Amidst an entire neighborhood of historic properties lies the Robinson House. It was built by Irish-born architect Henry Howard in the mid-19th century for Walter Robinson, an American from Virgina who came to New Orleans and struck it rich growing and selling perique tobacco. This palatial residence on Third Street in the Garden District has two stories, nine bedrooms, ten bathrooms and over 12,000 square feet of living space. It is described as a "spectacular display of Italianette Neoclassical architecture" including double galleries and 16ft ceilings with frescoes by a local artist, Dominique Canova. The grounds include a pool, several fountains, garden walkways and a carriage house. You can own this slice of history for a mere $12,500,000...

As awesome as this property is, I really don't think I could live there.  I mean look at it...not only is it humongous, it looks like a freaking museum...it should be a museum! I'd be afraid to touch, sit or (God forbid) lie on anything! Knowing my klutziness, I'd probably end up out in the carriage house, too paranoid to even walk through the main house at all...except perhaps to show my friends...who also can't touch anything...

I can still dream about it though...

1 comment:

Helena Tiare said...

I hear you on that giant house..it´s beautiful but it´s like it´s better suited for admiring ina distance...and i know for sure i wouldn´t feel at home in such a house, it´s too big and like you said, it´s like a museum.

Interesting that you mentioned perique tobacco, i first got in contact with that through a liqueur i have recently reviewed on my cocktail blog. Its simply called "perique" and is an amazing cocktail ingredient!

While doing that review i also got to learn the history of this tobacco which is to say the least very interesting! i`d like to visit the farm this summer but i`m not sure if it´s possible but it´s located near Oak Alley Plantation so it´s not too far.

I just love your house posts! keep them coming!